Driver's Side exhaust, crunching sound

5

Asked by Feb 20, 2017 at 09:00 AM about the 1995 Buick Roadmaster 4 Dr Estate Wagon

Hello, my 95 Roadmaster Wagon has been putting out excess exhaust on
the driver's side. There engine is running mostly smooth, seems to rev just
a little when it's idling. Low Oil light comes on occasionally, but when I check
the levels they are fine. Sometimes, when I'm driving there is a sound that I
would best describe as "a soda can being crushed." I asked a mechanic and
he said that it sounded like maybe there was an air leak in my exhaust line
and that the noise was cold air getting in and expanding.  I'm thinking that all
of these problems may be linked. What do you all think?  

73,645

I don't think these problems are related. Low oil pressure is another issue. The exhaust noise is just the expansion, and contracting of the exhaust pipes, catalytic converter, and any heat shields cooling down when heated up from driving. Verify the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge, it may be that the oil pressure sending unit may need replacing.

5

The crunch noise happens while I'm still driving, not while the car is in motion. Does it still make sense for it to be the expansion? Would most mechanics have a oil pressure gauge? I do seem to have a small leak somewhere near the oil pan that I plan to have repaired soon. Thanks so much for getting back to me! I just got this car a few months ago and I'm still learning about it, my last one was a Subaru and this is sooo different.

73,645

At this point the oil pressure should be verified, that would be most important. Any garage will have an mechanical oil pressure gauge for checking. The noise you hear more than likely is being made from the exhaust expansion and contraction. And just one question, How can your car not be in motion if you are driving it?

5

Ha! I responded before my coffee this morning. I've heard the noise while the car is going. I'll get the oil pressure checked asap. Thanks for your help.

73,645

I do that too, lol.