My 1996 buick road master collectors edition has 111,000 miles, It floods and burns the fuel very rich

5

Asked by Jun 04, 2013 at 07:11 PM about the 1996 Buick Roadmaster 4 Dr Limited Sedan

it has been burning the fuel very rich. it floods but don't quit running. My husband cleaned the mass flow sensor and had another sensor changed. also had one of the catalytic converter taken out. It still blows black smut onto the ground from that exhaust. also changed the plugs. is there something we are missing here? I've read about the distributor but what about the coil packs? Any info about this car will help tremendously.

235

Change your ECT(electronic coolant temp sensor). fairly inexpensive, and can cause the rich running and black smoking pipe. also check your wire connection going to it. Had a 3.8 camaro with a new sensor, but the connector was not getting good contact. $20 fix. A 96 should support a OBD2 connection, so your local part store could give you a code refrence(Pxxxx) and most of the time be ab.le to get you the part. Look for the sensor around the thermostat housing area. If you have a 3.8 engine, it is a bear to get to, but do-able. You should have 2 wires running from it.

5

thank you but the ect was the other sensor that was replaced. the mechanic replaced the wires as well. when we took the plugs out all the ones on the driver side were clean, but the ones on the passenger side were all 4 covered in black smut

5

Is there ant other suggestions?