Engine Vibration

1,285

Asked by May 18, 2013 at 09:44 PM about the 1995 Buick Riviera Supercharged Coupe FWD

In a previous post I asked for help in resolving an engine vibration in my 1995 Supercharger Riviera. Well I am back.
Since that post and in an effort to stop/minimize the problem I did the followings with NO AVAIL. Changed ALL the motor/trans supports ; pulled the oil pan and checked the crankshaft for lose rods; pulled the front plate and replaced all the gears and chains, checked the balance shaft, checked the coil packs, replaced the supercharger and replaced several MAF sensors. And yes I had a transmission company checked to determined if maybe it was the trans. even though the vibration is present when the transmission is in parked/neutral. And yes I have changed several harmonic balancers. Is there something I missed????? Thanks.

261,865

What is your idle rpm in park?

1,285

The idle rpm is 1000.

1,285

Well readers I finally figured out what was causing the engine vibration. It was the harmonic balancer. Obviously GM in its infinite wisdom decided to have two different harmonic balancers and 6-8 different aftermarket part numbers for that year model. And I not knowing this threw away my original part which included the parts no. But after many changes I realized my Riviera required the balancer with the larger balance bar. Word of advice, please keep the original part and or parts' number until problem is resolved.

Hello I have the same problem and im just wondering what is the original part number!? My Riviera vibrates and sounds like its only firing on 5 cylinders when it does run on 6. I replaced the harmonic balancer but I am thinking I may have the wrong one. But I threw away the old one. Thanks

1,285

Alvin1966 answered about a second ago Say Taylor..I corrected my problem with Part Number: 88960264. This balancer as compared with all previous balancers has the long or large bar located (inside/backside) of balancer. Good Luck.. Semper FI