1995 Riviera 3.8 sc engine noise

Asked by Mar 03, 2011 at 09:11 AM about the 1995 Buick Riviera Supercharged Coupe FWD

I have a 95 riviera 3.8 sc with 67,000 miles, recently I was driving and heard what I thought
was a rattle or noise. You hear it when it starts, shuts off, idling when in gear, but stops or is
very faint when you give it gas in gear or not.  Pulleys are all good except the crank. It makes a
half turn in each direction freely, then stops with the belts off. Car runs and drives great, no
loss of performance, just this noise.  I have a parts motor and the crank does not do that,what
do I need to replace?

3,425

either your catalytic converter, or your muffler baffles. Crawl under it when its not hot, and hit the cat, and muffler with a good bit of force. I use the side of my fist. If you hear a rattle, you found it. Very common. Please award points if this helps

40

the harmonic balancer

10

the crank moving back and fourth is probably your timing chain and could be lose enough to be making noise by hitting your timing cover

Harmonic balancer, which is basically the crankshaft pulley. This will not effect engine performance which other things listed here may, and is easy to diagnosis if you can easily move belts or crankshaft pulley back and forth. hope this helps!

65,255

Check the super charger.

you can check too see if it's either of the supercharger or the balancer by removing the belts.