When my car rides through a lot of water it starts to sputter, is it the starter getting wet from underneath??

Asked by Jan 04, 2015 at 10:17 AM about the 1997 Buick Riviera Supercharged Coupe

4,925

Only use the starter when you're starting the engine. Possible that you're getting moisture on the ignition system like the plug wires. Plug wires have carbon cores and they degrade over time. I change mine out every six years. No guarantee new plug wires will solve your problems, but I've seen a lot of people who were unable to start their vehicles in moist weather because their wires were old. Once it got warm their cars started

59,015

Yup, ytlas is 100% correct. Also make sure that you're not missing a splash guard under the front end. If you are, water can definitely get to the plug wires and cause problems like this. HTH. -Jim