I have a 97 riviera that has knocking noises coming from the front that sound like a water pump but its new does this mean my supercharger is bad

Asked by Dec 19, 2013 at 02:24 AM about the 1997 Buick Riviera Supercharged Coupe FWD

as above it sounds like a water pump but I just replaced it and it was fine does this mean my super charger is bad how can I tell.

230

To help you better with noise detection get a rubber hose about 1" I.diam and 2- 3' long start the car at idle speed stick one end to your ear and stick the other to the water pump valve covers intake etc ...make sure you watch out for fans or moving parts and if possible stick the hose to the side of the oil pan an oil pump can knock below but sound up top that's because it runs in connection to cams distributor if equipped with one so sound will travel

1,285

The previous poster has given you some good suggestions. I would also suggest checking your harmonic balancer and you can check noises from your supercharger by carefully placing your hand on the front portion on the supercharger. Note often times if the supercharger is problematic the end where the belt is (pulley) will be loose. Good luck. SEMPER FI

10

I have knocking sound coming from the passenger side I need to know what can it be