Fuel pump fuse keeps popping on my 1997 buick riviera

Asked by May 20, 2013 at 12:07 PM about the 1997 Buick Riviera Supercharged Coupe FWD

Supercharged. Replaced fuse once,
drove fine for 20 miles. Upon restart,
drove just down block and it blew
again. Now pops every time I turn
ignition on. No previous problems or
signs. Fuel pump seems to be good.
Haven't checked amp draw. Any
other possibilities? I've heard
possibly bad icm...

264,405

or could be faulty wiring. Electrical issues aren't fun in diagnosing/finding.

105,485

Along the frame back towards the fuel tank you should find a connector that runs directly to the fuel pump/sender assembly, unplug the connector and then replace the fuse then turn on ignition if fuse stays good then the problem is the pump, if the fuse pops then you have a wiring problem somewhere in that circuit. Could even be a bad fuel pump relay. Hope this gives you some direction where to look.

Yes, was doing that as we spoke. Just wish I had tried replacing fuse once I had the car back here before disconnecting pump as vehicle was cooled off. Did not blow fuse with pump disconnected..... But then it didn't blow it when I reconnected it either. Now I have to try to duplicate conditions and get it to fail again. Hopefully just warming car back up will do it... Otherwise, risk strand situation... Again. Thanks, and I'll keep you posted.

Yep, blowing with pump disconnected, suspension levelers, and icm all disconnected. Guess I need to find out what else is on that curcuit. Any ideas?

35,675

Disconnecting the pump could have interrupted the short. It could be the plug itself at the pump or the sending unit