2003 buick rendezvous no start

20

Asked by Jul 03, 2016 at 11:19 PM about the 2003 Buick Rendezvous CX

I bought a 2003 buick rendezvous from my
grandmother over a year ago. Loved it and drove it
until i bought a mustang this tax return. About a
month and a half ago, I drove the rendezvous to
work. When i wanted to go to tacobell for lunch, I
got out to the rendezvous and tried starting it so I
could drive there. Well thats when it went bad. The
vehicle wouldn't start. While in the on position, if
you wait approximately 5 to 10 seconds, the
vehicle starts to repeatedly ding and instead of the
mileage being displayed, it shows the word error.
Up on the gage cluster where it shows all of the
warnings like low fuel, change oil, low washer fluid,
etc, it displays the word security. I have tried doing
the 30 minute key relearn procedure atleast 6
times since then with no luck. This is a pk3
security system. I have no clue what the problem
could be. Is there any hope without towing it to the
dealer?

68,655

I'm assuming by your post that the Buick has been sitting for about 6 weeks. Could be as simple as a dead battery. The relearn procedure will not work in this situation. Load test the battery. It's probably very low. If so, charge it or try jump starting it. For future reference if you plan on not using the vehicle for an extended period (3 weeks or more) disconnect the negative (-) battery cable to prevent the battery from going dead. Modern vehicles draw power from the battery continually even after the ignition is turned off. HTH. -Jim

20

Jim, I have fully charged the battery twice before trying the relearn procedure and this is still not working. Could this possibly be the cars computer?

30

I had the same problem. I charged the battery. I pulled the starter and everything else because the battery was only 2 years old so it couldn't be that. Ended up being a bad cell in the battery. AAA came out and wouldn't take my word for it, the tech decided to throw a new one in against his supervisors advice and varroom it started. Lucky it was under warranty. If you have AAA, $100.00 new battery, warrantied for 3 years.

68,655

It is possible that the battery isn't up to par as mentioned above. On some modern vehicles the computer won't allow the engine to be cranked if the battery is below what the computer thinks it should be. Say, for example, if the battery is reading only 9.5 volts, the computer may not initiate the "starter request" signal. So the engine won't crank at all. Load test the battery. HTH. -Jim

20

As i said before. I have fully charged the battery twice now and still a nogo. I plan to have the battery tested today.

68,655

Ok, good. A load test on the battery will tell the tale. Sometimes the charger, especially in automatic setting, will shut down before the battery is actually 100%. HTH. -Jim

Did you ever figure this out? I'm having same issue

Same comment as before. THIS SOLVED MY PROBLEM "I had the same problem. I charged the battery. I pulled the starter and everything else because the battery was only 2 years old so it couldn't be that. Ended up being a bad cell in the battery. AAA came out and techs bosses wouldn't take my word for it, the tech decided to throw a new one in (against his supervisors advice) and varroom it started. Lucky it was under warranty. If you have AAA, $100.00 new battery, warrantied for 3 years"

10

My 04 Buick rendezvous is doing the same thing it's been parked for over six weeks because of this , I installed a new battery and no power to fuses 30 or 31 , I run a jumper to the fuses and the car starts , when I disconnect the jumper wire it dies what could it be