missing an maybe out of time

20

Asked by Nov 15, 2016 at 08:00 PM about the 1996 Chevrolet Blazer 4 Door LT 4WD

my blazer is acting up like missing bad but only on
3 pistons on my left side of the motor it has new
spider injector new gaskets new timing chain in
time new distrubotor fuel pump is good plugs r
new I'm starting to give up. But computer says it's
22 advance but my cell says -22 any ideals before
I go broke . I even put a new cataylaic converter
too but only thing that shows is a 02 sensor on
engine light

56,805

Did you accidentally mix up some spark plug wires?

20

I thought I did but I looked an they are correct

20

I just don't understand ik it starts up fine drives great but at times when I start it up an give it gas to go it doesn't have throttle response an then I have throttle response again an at a light stopped or in park when it idles it idles so low about dieing then jumps up to normal idle but the motor feels like it's missing all over the place but it's only the left side of the motor

56,805

Is it possible to install the spider injection to the wrong cylinders?

56,805

If the truck is at 22 degrees advanced that is way too much. I don't know the spec for your engine off the top of my head but 10 degrees at idle is more like it.

20

Well its a 96 chevy blazer is it possible the distrubotor needs relearn cause its a preset distrubotor ones were u can't turn

20

an spider injector I follow the numbers on each spider to the correct cylinder

64,995

You'll need a good old fashioned timing light, believe it or not, to set the ignition timing. There's one notch on the harmonic balancer and one notch on the timing cover. With a timing light you need to turn the distributor so those marks line up. HTH. -Jim

20

@js08016 the timing on my blazer is control by computer u can't turn the distrubotor on my blazer once u set it down an bolt it that's it u have to line the rotor cap up to the 6 with the harmonic balancer on the 2nd notch it has 2 notches

64,995

Are you sure about that? Later models do have an adjustment, as I explained. HTH. -Jim

64,995

Your '96 model and my neighbor's 2000 model use the same distributor, as I suspected. The base ignition timing is adjusted by hand, as I explained. The computer advances or retards the ignition timing while driving as needed. In the old days this was done by the vacuum advance and centrifugal advance mechanisms. Now it's done electronically by the computer. HTH. -Jim

20

I wish i could turn it by hand but I can't the shaft is square an the bracket that's on it goes in the slot an u just put it in an bolt it down now my old distributor I cut the bracket turn that distributor ever direction an didn't change the idle on the blazer. so would it have to be put on a machine an maybe be relearn then

20

I can't seem to get any car dealers to look at my blazer due to its not a 02 model an up I'm starting to give up any one els know what I can do I tried turning distributor didn't do any thing took sensors off clean then didn't Chang any thing recheck plug wired an spark plugs all looks good fuel pressure good O2 sensors working but didn't change. could it possible that the distrubotor just needs relearn ?

56,805

Timing is pretty much a mechanical issue so I think you need to take another look at the distrubutor.

20

Well I was told from Don franklin chevy dealer that u can put the distrubotor any way u like it like a tooth off an it should be in time cause the computer controls were DTC is an fires an controls from their but not one mechanic can test it to make sure it's even reading right to correct the firing

20

I just don't know what sensor is not doing its job

56,805

If the computer sets the timing there will be a crank position sensor that tells the computer when to fire the plugs.

56,805

One tooth off can really screw up your ignition timing! ;)

20

But how come the timing don't chain when I turn the distrubotor ? my timing marks on the timing chain are right dead in line

64,995

Ignition timing and valve (timing chain) timing are related but different. The computer doesn't actually fire the spark plugs. It will electronically position the breaker plate in the distributor to either advance or retard ignition timing as needed. When setting the base ignition timing the electronic timing connector, usually at the distributor must be unplugged. Once the base ignition timing is set, you plug it back in. Different years, models, and engines can use different electrical set ups so it's best to refer to a repair manual to see which plug needs to be unplugged. Valve timing is not adjustable. As long as you have the camshaft and crankshaft dimples lined up it's good. Since it will run it's safe to assume that the valve timing is ok. HTH. -Jim

64,995

BTW I'm willing to bet that there's not one tech at the Chevy Dealer who has ever used a timing light and wouldn't know a distributor if you showed them one. Remember, your Blazer is about as old as some of the guys working at the Dealer. Unless you talk to someone over 40 years old. They're clueless. I'll guarantee that! -Jim

20

@js08016 so your saying unplug the distrubotor an pull it out an take it 1 tooth back an plug back up. cause right now it's set on the 2nd notch on the crankshaft an the distrubotor is set on 6 what I have seen online it's says it's in time but.

20

This is how it's set as of right now

64,995

You can do it that way. Personally I prefer a timing light. But I'm probably old fashioned! HTH. -Jim

20

Well I don't think a timing light will work like i said before my distributor does not move u can't turn it

64,995

The line on the harmonic balancer needs to be in the center of the scale. Where the "V" cutout is. The distributor rotor needs to also lined up with the notch on the housing. There is no first and second notch on the scale for the harmonic balancer. Only use the center "V". To me it's much easier with a timing light if you have access to one. HTH. -Jim

64,995

That's numbers 1 & 2 on your second picture. They need to be lined up. HTH. -Jim

64,995

Ok, then you'll need to line up the marks on the harmonic balancer and the scale. Then line up the marks on the distributor. Make sure you take into account the rotor will move as the distributor gear meshes with the camshaft gear. HTH. -Jim

20

All that is line up but some reason still out of time shows 22 advance

64,995

Unplug the advance plug to get a true reading. If the engine is cold, the computer will advance the ignition timing to speed up the engine and prevent stalling. HTH. -Jim

64,995

You should also be in drive with the parking brake set. HTH. -Jim

20

timing on idle

64,995

Is that with the connector unplugged? -Jim

20

Nothing changes when I unplug it the crankshaft it just dies an the cam shaft does nothing when I unplug it like it's not reading any thing

64,995

I'd put a timing light on it and see where you're really at. If I'm looking at your picture correctly you're 20°BTDC. That's not even close. Since you know everything is lined up if you can get a visual on the harmonic balancer, that'll tell you where things are. I'm thinking faulty PCM at this point. HTH. -Jim

20

The PCM what I'm thinking too