my 1999 blazer sounds like a tractor when its running. there is also smoke coming out of intake when accelerating. i changed valve cover gaskets, cat, egr valve but still with the popping sound. The .

10

Asked by Jun 19, 2014 at 08:08 PM about the 1996 Chevrolet Blazer 4 Door LT 4WD

I was told that this sound started after a shop was paid $800 to replace the intake
gaskets. Is there something they could have done wrong. It doesnt look like they could be
on wrong. Timing adjusted. I can't think of what to look at next. Thanks

217,175

I'd have the shop re-inspect their work.

10

Id agree but i bought it from the guy that paid for the work and never took it back. So now I'm trying to figure it out. I dont see how the intake gaskts could be on wrong. It just "pops" the whole time its running. Im stumped.

100

The plug wires are in the wrong order. Chevy 350 cid firing order is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2. If they swapped 2 wires, it will pop all day long. If they had left the intake loose, it wouldn't idle.

10

Still trying to figure this out. Plug wires were in the right order. The previous owner said the first time after he started it after the intake gaskets were replaced it backfired so i thought maybe a push rod was bent. So i tore it back apart. All push rods are straight, intake and valve cover gaskets intact. I really dont want to replace the engine until a last resort. It hols good oil pressure and the only noise is that popping sound when it runs. (It speeds up with acceleration.) I Would love any thoughts or advice. Thanks!

100

The next obvious test is a compression test and comparison.

16,865

triple check those plug wires, change the cap and rotor for possible arcing inside the cap. Also make sure the egr isnt stuck open

10

10

Well, thanks for all of the replies but i finally figured out what was wrong today. After pulling the heads i was suprised to find a nut sticking out of one of the pistons. I'm thinking someone at the shop that did the work for the guy i bought it off of dropped the nut in the cylinder and it got pushed into the piston. SUCKS!! Thinking that if i put a new motor in it I will probably end up with costing me more than its worth. Might cut my losses and haul off. Thanks again to all that offered suggestions.