How will i know that the water pump is working?

310

Asked by Jun 25, 2012 at 09:22 AM about the 1996 Chevrolet Blazer 4 Door LS 4WD

I installed already the new fan blade with the clutch but still overheating happened when AC is on, may I
know what to do?

237,855

Radiator can be low on coolant or blocked. Did you replace your thermostat, it could be sticking?

310

The thermostat is new. The radiator is cleaned and serviced, when i opened the radiator cap with engine is on, i can see that coolant is moving so I supposed that water pump is working. What is the other probable problem?

1,295

The radiator and condenser could be plugged externally. I use a long blow gun to blow out the fins. You would be surprised what a big difference this can make. Be carefully not to damage the fins while doing this. Good luck!

310

o I am very sorry Mike i did not change the thermostat but the temperature gauge, by the way where is thermostat located?

310

I mean I change the temperature sensor.

1,295

thermostat is on top of engine. Follow the upper radiator hose and its right there.

you can tell if the water pump is working by removing the radiator cap with the engine COLD, start it up keep a bucket under the radiator it can get a lil messy. run it til the thermostat opens , you should see the water start flowing thru the system. if you dont & it starts to over heat then your thermostat is not opening. once the engine gets hot put the cap back on before you shut it off . if you shut it off with the cap openned anti freeze will fly out , so be careful.

310

i have found the thermostat and changed it with a new one but still when i stocked in the traffic the temperature will reach 100 degrees and i can hear the boiling water in the engine, until i move forward the temperature goes down. The thermostat should open at 85 degrees isn't it?

1,295

did you blow out the fins on the radiator and condensor?

3,185

water doesn't boil at 100 degrees.thermostat opens at 185 , you might have an air pocket , remove the cap with the engine cold , fill radiator , start car , let it warm up , the water might spill out a bit but once it warms up & the thermostat opens it should flush down ,when that happens fill it up ,still with the engine running put the cap on.

1,295

I assumed it was degree Celsius...

3,185

you can tell if the water is circulating by turning on the heater full blast ..... if it blows hot air , your water pump is fine .... remember one out of ten brand new thermostats is bad out of the box ... sad but true.. PBN

3,185

water does boil at 100 degrees celsius with no pressure on it but your car's cooling system has about 15 lbs pressure which will raise the boiling point to about 235 deg. farenheight

3,185

i issumed it was farenhiet , we all know what happens when we assume,lol.ok Pete what kind of car is that? 67 GTO?

3,185

do you mean the one in my picture ? I t's a 1972 'CUDA .......... my first car !!!! yes I still have it !!!! I bought it way back in 1978 for 2500.00 bucks ... .

310

It is degrees celcius.

3,185

mark it wrong and give him an F

3,185

Yeah , nice car. i'm working on a 65 lemans.

3,185

buddy of mine has a 67 GTO he bought it for ten bucks when we were in the fourth grade .... about 1972 or so ...

110

I have a 1999 Chevy Blazer and its leaking antifreeze out the reservoir tank steam in from under the hood what could be the problem

50

yesterday someone put antifreeze in my truck one in white One in yellow AN now woke up to service engine soon light came on now it's running outta the underneath of my truckcan anyone help me or do u think the wrong antifreeze was put in my truck?

20

Anybody else want to work on Tara's truck, like I do? :)

130

Stopping at a red light and you car overheats, is a bad fan clutch. It is not engaging, and taking over, to cool down your car. When you start to move, the engine power pushes it to cool again. Change out your fan clutch.

130

most of the time the fan clutch and water pump are on the same connection, so you might as well change them out at the same time. Water pumps can be bad and not ditch all your water on the ground.