Fuel Relay Problems

Asked by Feb 16, 2011 at 06:16 PM about the 1996 Chevrolet Blazer 4 Door LS 4WD

I am a die hard chevy fan and I have just recently bought a 96 blazer with high
mileage for 800 bucks. The previous owner said that the fuel pump was recently
replaced and the fuel level gauge was actually stuck on half full. The other day
when I was driving the vehicle I heard a loud clicking noise comming from the
fuel pump relay under the dash, it was only clicking during acceleration and the
engine was also surging/bucking during acceleration. During operation this does
not happen when I was at a steady speed only during acceleration the engine
would start "bucking" and the relay would start clicking like a machine gun, I also
noticed that the fuel gauge went from stuck on half to stuck on past full. After
driving the vehicle back home i attempted to park it and it idles up even with my
foot off the accelerator, and now it will only start up with the relay clicking the
whole time, idle up and down, then it will stall out. I replaced the relay and
checked for any loose connections and I am still having the
    same problem. Right before this started to happen I also ran over a small curb
but it didn't do any physical damage to the truck besides the fact that it stalled out
and tranny fluid started leaking out by the tranny dip stick, not sure where though
and if it is related to this problem because the relay didn't start acting up until after
I parked the truck and started looking for this "leak" I had in. The engine
compartment. I hope this doesn't sound too confusing but I tried to explain it as
thouroughly as possble. I am young and I need this truck for school and work and I
also have some automotive education. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

3,715

Sounds like you got stuck with the mother of all lemons. I would sell it, minimize your losses, and get a better vehicle. In the future, take anything you are considering buying to your mechanic.

55

a new fuel pump can be just the pump, the whole module assembly (pump, hanger, sending unit), and sometimes they come with a new wiring harness. A bad wiring harness can cause all kinds of issues with pump operation, thats why new pumps usually come with new harness, the previous owner may not have known what he was doing, (no new harness, poor harness connections, damaged sending unit when replacing pump)