1996 BERETTA Z26, CK ENG LITE ON, also 135000-don't you think this is high mileage?

5

Asked by May 23, 2007 at 11:39 AM about the 1996 Chevrolet Beretta Z26

The prev. owner said he had it checked and was told it is the o2 sensor, not sure if front or back sensor, I will be going with my friend (who is a mechanic) to check out the car before I potentially buy. One plus is that the price is negotiable. I would love to see if I could take it to an auto zone to check the codes. But don't you think the mileage is a bit high, one of my friends seems to think so. He is pretty much nixing the idea of me buying it due to the mileage. The pic of the car otherwise looks to be in good shape, no dents, just paint chips on the hood, it has power everything and sunroof and cd player.

32,125

yeah I do think the mileage is high, but you need to start asking yourself what kind of car you are going to be getting for $1100. For that kind of money you are going to have to be looking at cars with higher mileage. There are always the concerns of buying a car with higher mileage; things are going to go wrong the older the car gets, but to get something with less miles you are going to have to go up in price. Its good that you are going with your mechanic friend and if you really wanted to tell the seller that you won't even think about buying unless you can take it to Autozone to get the codes checked out. If there is nothing to hide I don't see why he would object.

14,715

When I was a younger person, cars that were 10 years old were usually between $100 to $400 depending on the original cost. Now any 10 year old car is going for around $10,000 to $15,000 asking price if it is made in America or West of here. Mileage is not a big concern with the cars of today if they are properly maintained. If you're looking for transportation at a cheep price, this is what you will be getting. My two cars, mine and wife's both are over 112,000 miles and running great. I do scheduled maintenance and keep them in top safe condition. Less cost on insurance, car tags, and NO car payments. Even if you get one year's driving out of it, it is worth the buy. The O2 sensors are cheap in comparison. Make sure it will pass inspection when you register it with the department of motor vehicles. Go for it and enjoy.