Cooling system

30

Asked by Jan 11, 2016 at 05:33 PM about the 1990 Ford E-150 XL Econoline

What should temperature gauge show when
driving?

185° (is a bit cool)° - no more than 215° but if you don't have real numbers on your gauge, right in the middle or slightly on the cool side

Best Answer
30

Had her overheat an blow hose off top of radiator. Thought thremostat was freeze. Which it was bad. New thremostat now but needle is show half , before that it was on the 1/4.

Assuming your gauge is accurate, running at 1/4 of the way up is too cool. Right in the middle, 1/2 of the way up is good. If the t-stat gets stuck open, it can allow too much coolant through and does not stay in radiator long enough to cool, and hence overheat

60,515

Most cars I have had run about 1/3 on the gauge. If it has actual degree markings it should run at the temp of the thermostat. 190 is good. Ford - How do you get the degree symbol?

30

Will thats good to know,because up to now its always been at 1/4. When shows half. Just didn't know if it was trying to still overheat, or the water pump was going up.

30

No degree, was just going by gauge needle. No numbers.

60,515

If you had a 160 degree t-stat before and changed it out to a 190 degree t-stat it could explain your issue.

Hold 'Alt' and on the keypad, it won't work on the top row and 0176 you will get °

60,515

It seems that I cannot make it work at all, my computer can't make the degree symbol. Bummer.

Hold 'Alt' and put 0176 and you will get ° It does not work using the top row of numbers, use the number keypad

60,515

Alas but it is not meant to be. I get the degree symbol but in the search bar on my internet browser!

Huh, That is odd... unless you are running a very old OS, like Windows Vista or if you are on a Mac. Then that would explain it

60,515

Windows 8.1 maybe it is a Google thing.