Van sat too long - old gas - Stalling

5

Asked by Feb 27, 2014 at 11:13 AM about the 1990 Ford E-150 XL Econoline

Past 6 years I've only driven the van to be smoged. Last year I put 3-4gal gas in it, smoged it, then parked it. I start it and let it run for 5-10 min every 2-3months when I remember. Now I put 10 gal gas and bottle of Alcohol (heet) in the tank and loaned it to my son. He will drive it for 5-8 miles then it will stall and he has to pull to the curb and wait for a few min before starting again. Then he limps home. Is there lacquer in the fuel lines? How do I get it to run without stalling after a few miles?

97,095

You could try putting in some Marine Stabil fuel treatment in the fuel that is in the tank. But it sounds like you may have something else going bad like an ignition module or distributor stator. Might get the codes pulled, but this an OBD 1 Ford and not everyone want's do do them anymore so you will need to call around to find someone.

5

Ok, I looked up Stabil and they say it will not restore old gas, it will only stop gas from degrading further. I'll call my mechanic and see if he can read my old van codes for me. I think I should probably replace the inline fuel filter. A photo online says it's under the body, and doesn't look like a big deal to remove. I already added Alcohol to remove water, but I may still have other gunk in the tank and lines (only a guess) and was hoping I could just pour something in the tank, and have everything work out OK.

97,095

I know they won't say it works, but I had an old chrysler that had sat for over a year with fuel in the tank, it wouldn't even try to start, I put in a bottle of it and it had about 5 gallons of fuel in the tank let it set for about 3 hours and after I got all of the old fuel cleared from the lines, pump and carb it started and strayed running, so if you don't want to try that the I suggest get some Techron and put in the tank, that is also some good stuff for cleaning the fuel system. I would still get the codes checked.