1991 E-150 5.0L Engine cuts off.

Asked by Jul 23, 2016 at 02:26 PM about the 1991 Ford E-150 XL Econoline

Can set to neutral and re-fire immediately. Replaced near all electrical components involved with ignition. Help!

So it only cuts off when in gear? Park and neutral is OK?

It has cut off on me while in park. Random. Cold or hot. Been at shop for 6 months. Original problem was the ignition switch failed. Lost spring action from engaging starter position back to ignition on. Shop replaced switch. At same time they replaced the throttle positioning sensor. Got it back and it ran horribly. A cable that connects the transmission to the throttle body(?) was not correctly set. They fought that for a while. When I get it back I discover that the engine cuts off while driving along. I take it back. Called and said they thought they had it fixed. Started it and it cut off twice while sitting in lot just seconds after firing it up. I left it there. Here's what I believe they have replaced with no luck: ECM Relay, 2- capacitors, Voltage regulator, Battery, plugs and wires, Ignition Coil, TFI Ignition Module, Engine Coolant Temp Sensor. They tried a new EECM but then replaced it with the old one when that did not fix it. They have looked extensively at the wiring harness. Found some wires where the insulation melted together but no evident shorts.Then they sent it to the shop of a family member and I don't know what they tried. The second shop thought they had it fixed. They had cranked it and it sat on their lot and ran for 4 hours. They get it and attempt to pull it into the building and it cuts off. Trying to locate a wiring guru in or near Hickory, NC. I need to get back with the original shop where my van is now and get a detailed listed of all the things that they have tried.

Well, Mark, what happened? Why no further response?