advanced ignition

Asked by Jun 09, 2017 at 03:37 AM about the 1996 Chevrolet Astro Passenger Van Extended

hi, i have a problem with my 4.3 vortec engine. the distributor is properly
installed, but im having a problem with the advancing of the ignition. when it
idles it is telling me that its at -20 degrees. when i start driving it, it go's to -30
at times even -35 and it stays there no matter wat i do. it only go's back to -20
when i completely stop the car. i have tried literally everything and can't find it.
maybe you can give me some advice about this. ;)

75,555

Where you having a problem with the engine? The timing does do this.

3,565

those numbers seem way high to me , you know the distributor shaft rotated when the gears meshed on the cam ?, I think the timing is set by the computer , distributor still needs to be in the correct position .

My ignition is properly installed. I did it the gm way. Tdc then put the dimple on de factory mark en slide it in as de distributor needs to be sitting with the clamp on it. I did this many times over and i always end up on my 6 mark. Is there a sensor that could fail without trowing a code? It's someting that has to do with ignition because it misfires, no acceleration. I put new o2 sensor in there i changed rhe timing, i lookt at my wirring and i checked my sensors, i also checked my timingchain, the whole 9 yards. Everyting i checked was fine. Im stuck with this problem for some time now and im really desperate. Thanks for your comment, i apreciate the help. Grtz!

75,555

Double check the spark plug wires for proper firing order, if it is not right that would cause a miss. Otherwise other things to check are Faulty spark plug (s), Faulty ignition coil (s), Clogged or faulty fuel injector (s), Intake air leak Fuel, injectors harness is open or shorted, Fuel Injectors circuit poor electrical connection, Ignition coils harness is open or shorted, Ignition coils circuit poor electrical connection, Insufficient cylinders compression, Incorrect fuel pressure...Start by checking for intake leaks, intake gaskets are common caused of multi-cylinder misfiring. If no leak are found the next step is to replace the spark plugs. If the problem persists more tests needs to be done to diagnose problem.