The check engine, VSC, and 4WD lights keep coming on at the same time.

Asked by Aug 22, 2015 at 05:45 PM about the 2007 Toyota RAV4 Base

The lights are on in my car.  Have had both oxygen sensors replaced.  The lights go off for a day, then they come back on.  One mechanic said maybe it needs a software update, other said maybe it was that the sensor was not an official Toyota part  (the front sensor was a Toyota part).  This car does have a recall on it for an oil consumption issue.  However, they have not figured out a remedy for it yet.  All other recalls have been addressed.  I screwed the gas cap on properly and lights are still on.  Any advice?

Have you had - or did the mechanic do an OBDII scan? And 02 sensors really should be Denso. But not absolutely critical.. other brands will work and not cause the CEL to come on

Also, there is nothing wrong with the VSC. Toyota/Lexus uses not only the braking system, but also controls the throttle to help get the RAV out of tricky situations with VSC. If the engine is not running right, the ECM shuts down those systems

190

My Toyota Rav4 suddenly had VSC, Check Engine, & 4 wheel drive lights come on and stay on. Also noticed a little rough idling when first starting my vehicle. Took it to my local dealership and they immediately diagnosed the problem as a loose vacuum hose! Checked it and, sure enough, a hose had worked loose. They reconnected hose, reset lights, and all is well for now! Hope that is all there is to it! Zero cost for repairs! Thank you Bristol Toyota!

40

Hi Evie, My RAV4 is doing this exact same thing. The code came up "Lean Fuel" which my mechanic said could be an O2 sensor or possibly 5-6 other things. He cleaned my spark plugs and reset the lights. Lights stayed off for 2 days then came back on.:-( Could it be something as simple as a loose vacuum hose? I will ask. Thanks for the info. Fingers crossed!

20

It was a loose gas tank cap.

20

It takes a few tries and a few days.

150

On my 2011 RAV4 this is all due to a poor design of rubber tubing downstream (to the left) of the Mass Air Flow Sensor. This tubing is a "press fit" into the air manifold and twice it has worked its way out of the manifold. When it does, the 3 lights that come on are always VSC, Check Engine & 4WD. Before taking your vehicle to any dealer, please open your hood and look to the manifold to the left (downstream) of your air filter. Stupid design gives all of us RAV4 drivers many moments of apprehension that are unnecessary. To get the fitting end back in all of the way in the air manifold takes some hard pressing. There should be a mechanical fastener there so this does not occur, but the connection is at a funny angle and there is really no way to rig anything.

20

Thanks Charles and others who had commented on the rubber tubing coming loose. That exactly was the problem I had with my 2012 RAV4. Travel through some rough roads probably had made it come off the connection which doesnt have any clamps or anything else to hold it in its place. Bad design.

I am so glad I found this post! It's been driving me crazy. I'm going to have my BF look at the hose tomorrow. FINGERS CROSSED!! :)

Can this issue happen even if it is not all the way off? Mine was not seated all the way on. I pushed it all the way back in and reset the code. I'll have to see if it comes back on.

150

My lights only came on when the tubing was all of the way out. Actually, the first time it happened I could hear a difference in the noise of air flow in the engine compartment. Both times I had a friend who could reset the code for me using a hand-held analyzer that costs about $50 at Harbor Freight.

Charles my RAV 4 2006 model the one which says parts with Vancard has issue of higling inconsistence. Sometimes when in traffic it wants to jump in a stationary place. The car will move then blocks like it has a fuel bump issue and then opens to move very fast. I took it for diagnosis and they said it was an airflow sensor. I replaced but the problem did go off, after a day the check engine was back and problem back. Another mechanic said it was gear box sensor. I replaced the three sensor the problem did not cease. what could be the problem.

Wondering if Charles or anyone else can post a pic of what he is talking about?

I was having these problems as well in November. They said it was the engine coil and replaced it. Now in the last two days it has been happening again and there is a shake in the vehicle. It feels mostly in the back end and when I come to a stop it feels like it is going to choke out.

Try to check if there’s a loose hose fr. Top of engine to air flow And put it back .then loose the posited wire in battery for 10 min Then put it back then start and idleling on for 30 min It may solve your engine lights on trac off on & 4wd. On And also check your transmission fluid maybe is about to change It.

150

GuruY23MD - Sorry that I did not check my email sooner, but here is a photo of the problem "press Fitting". I believe that it loosens when someone at a lube place checks the air filter and really lifts the duct that it is attached to. As you will notice, it is not clamped.