Driver side water running on me from where the felt and plastic meet on the front window post.

60

Asked by Jul 25, 2013 at 12:10 PM about the 2006 Toyota Matrix XR

I have a 2006 MatrixXR which is leaking streams of water on me, when or after, it rains. After having the drains on the sunroof blown out twice, I ordered a sunroof seal from Toyota, and had it put on. It still leaked, so they redid the same new seal on the sunroof. It still leaks on me when I make turns, or accelerate from a stopped position.. It happens whether I have parked on a level surfaces, or when I park on an incline. The felt, ceiling material is soaked on the inside of the car, where it meets the plastic piece going up the window post. It rains here almost every day now, and the body garages say they cant find what is causing it. Can u help me?

56,655

Maybe the seal and drain hoses are fine but has anyone checked the glass for proper positioning? I'm no body expert but it makes sense. HTH. -Jim

60

Mike, I found the problem. It was the top seal around the front windshield. It was a long process finding it, because the leaking water patterns, didn't follow a "windshield leak." Good luck. Penny1202

90

Hi Penny, I think you are right...I noticed that on the driver side, the rubber seal on the outside between the windshield and the roof was sticking out compared to the passenger side. Maybe water was getting in under the rubber . I pushed it back down and after a "little" rainfall, everything was dry! Hopefully it will be the same with a bigger rainfall. I am keeping my fingers crossed! Thanks for the solution, I appreciate it! Mike

20

Penny, Mike, yes, I had this exact same problem and also thought it was the moon roof drains, but it is not. After pouring water all over different places on the roof / sunroof, I finally realized that it is coming in through the top strip of the windshield weather stripping. Mine is only leaking on the left side (as of now). That being said, my stripping is pushed in, so I don't know what my next step will be, need to research if full windshield replacement is necessary or if I can just do the stripping.

90

I have the same problem on both driver and passenger sides and have no sun roof...any help is appreciated!

30

I think I have the same issue on the passenger side of my 05 Vibe.(no sunroof) I suddenly have it dripping out of the plastic trim on the a pillar also causing the felt like roof material to become soaked. And All I can figure is that its leaking from the windshield, but I'm not certain. Would love to hear a fix so I can figure out how to proceed

20

I have an '05 Vibe. Same problem, dripping from both sides where headliner meets the A pillar plastic. After clearing the sunroof drains (I don't think they were clogged) I still had the problem. What I did: 1. Removed the A pillar plastic both sides 2. Removed both sun visors 3. Removed passenger side grab handle (roof) 4. Removed sun visor clips (1/4 twist counter clockwise) 5. Gently pulled the front of the headliner down about 3" so you can see the windshield to body area. 6. Put the hose on all over the front part of the roof I had a leak running through the windshield gasket almost directly above the rear view mirror. Water was simply running down the U shape of the top of the headliner and running down to exit at both the driver and passenger side top where the headliner meets the A pillar plastic and depositing water on me and my unhappy passengers. I found from the outside that some of the seal was broken right where the leak was. Maybe the proper way is to have the windshield professionally pulled and re-glued and a new gasket. What I did was use some marine grade rtv sealer in black. First prepped the area with Wax/Bug remover. Let dry. Then used rubbing alcohol as a final clean. Then I applied the rtv from the passenger to the driver side top windshield area. I pushed a bit down into the hole. Then cleaned up as you would if you were caulking anything. After 12 hours I applied the same hose to the whole area. No leaks. I'm not sure how long this will last but it sure is a cheap way to do a temp DIY job and maybe it'll stay for awhile.

I have the same issue - has anyone heard from the manufacture on this issue? I have an 06 Matrix wagon