My dash says im in 3rd gear. But im in park

Asked by Jul 27, 2014 at 05:24 PM about the 1997 Chevrolet Tahoe 2 Dr LS 4WD SUV

just did a training swap. On a 97 Chevy Tahoe 2 door  went to go hook everything
up and when I turn my key it says it is 3rd. But real is in park I can jump my started
and it will fire right up. Drove it around for a little bit every thing is fine  expect the
dash where it says it in. 3rd

Everything hooked back up correctly? Was it an exact swap on the trans? Same year and type?

I bought a 4l60e transmission from the local NAPA in town for my 97 Chevrolet Tahoe and yes same year and type

Help from someone please

Ok heres something what I found and might help you. The shift indicator is a part of the wiring harness associated with the 'Prindle switch' on the driver's side of the transmission. Check the electrical connections. Also might want to take the switch off your old trans and try it on the new one. Not really sure this applies to your trans but it might give you some where to start looking. Just for giggles might want to try unhooking your battery for about ten minutes. This sometimes helps to reset things.

I have already tried unhooking all the connections And cleaning them and I had to use everything off of my old transmission except for my torque converter

Ok the more I look into this I am almost positive that it's your neutral safety switch that's giving you your issues. It acts as safety switch and also sends the gear selection signal to your instrument cluster. If mine I would remove and inspect it for cracks ect. Also double check the electrical connections. Having trouble getting you any test procedures for it. Hate to say this cause I not 100% positive but if it was mine I would replace it just In case it got damaged during the change.

Hope that helps. Sorry I could not be of more help.

by the switch do you mean the steering linkage

so what parts do I need to replace exactly

No the neutral safety switch on the drivers side of the transmission right where all your linkage hooks up. It has two electrical connections hooked to it.

Best Answer Mark helpful

when I go to Put the new one on do I need to put the truck in neutral

No that's not necessary. Cause when you remove the linkage it is possible that the linkage will turn (change gears in trans) anyways. Just make sure when you hook it back up that the linkage hooked to the switch is pushed all the way forward and the gear shift in cab is in park when you connect the two of them. Just a though. Could you have not done that last step when you hooked it all back up?

If you didn't make sure that both were in the same gear you might be able to take linkage apart and put both in park, hook it all back up and it go to working properly without buying a new switch.