i have a 97 chevy suburban wont start

5

Asked by Jan 30, 2012 at 02:25 PM about the 1997 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 4WD

I replaced the pressure regulator, spider injectors, fuel filter and fuel pump. Still won't fire.
It's got spark and compression. I'm stumped! Any suggestions?

795

first check your ECM and fuel pump fuses. If they are good there is a "schrader valve" looks like a tire valve on your fuel rail. Turn the key to run and press the end of the vlave in with a small screw driver or pocket knife. You should have pressurized fuel spraying from it. If you do not your fuel pump is not working. Check your wiring harness at the pump for adequate voltage. If you do use a fuel pressure tester to check the amout of pressure. Specifications should be available on line or by calling you favorite auto parts store. If you do not have enough pressure the regulator is bad, not installed correctly or you have a leak in your high pressure line. If you are testing fine to this point get a "noid light" or injector pulse testor. This can be plugged into each injector's wiring harness to make sure you are getting the propper pulse to the injectors. If you have no pulse the problem is either you engine management computer or your crank possition sensor. test the sensor by removing it from the vehicle attaching an ohm meeter to the electrodes and passing a steel object accross the other end. The sensor is operated via magnetic pull if the continuity changes when the steel object passes the sensor is good. Visually inpect the harness. If this is good go shopping for a computer. Hope this helps.

70

When you stop cranking, does it act like it is trying to start? Chances are it is the ignition module. its an easy DIY fix. Its about 70-90 dollars. it close to the coil on the passengers side of engine.

20

I experienced this same thing, the fuel pump not working.... After being towed home, I left the 1998 Blazer in the driveway. The next morning I took test equipment out to the truck and thought I'd turn the key before I got started. The Blazer started with no problem. A week later, I had the same problem, cranks and does not start. I used my AAA card again and they called back after I had waited an hour and I tried to start the truck again and had no problem and told AAA to cancel the tow truck. He had just pulled into the parking lot as I was backing out of the parking spot. He asked if I was the same guy that he towed back to my driveway about a week ago and yes, it was me! I worked in a Chevrolet dealership on the mechanics counter for almost 12 years and never heard a complaint about the no starts because of a bad fuel pump that is located in the fuel tank! The tow truck driver said he has seen more of the no start problems on GM products than he cares to remember and a simple little thing to do before I get home --- fill the gas tank up to 3/4 to full. That will keep the fuel pump cool as it will be submersed in the gas and eliminate the no starts! Been a month and a half now and I have not let the fuel go below 3/4 and have not had a problem with the no starts since, BUT beware, if the fuel pump stops altogether, the pump here at the auto parts store is over $300 and if you can't replace it yourself, It will cost you about another $250. Who ever came up with the ideal to put the pump in the tank deserves a quick kick in the a$$ and then hung! lol

75

https://www.am-autoparts.com/products/fuel-pump/AM-31689155.html?m=1518&y=1997 51.99 I get all my parts from am auto parts new discounted parts