Clicking Noise

675

Asked by Jun 30, 2014 at 05:06 PM about the 1997 Chevrolet Suburban C1500

When driving my 1997 Chevy Suburban LS w/ Vortec 350 I can hear a clicking noise on the passenger side when passing by a building or in a quiet neighborhood....I'm wondering whether it's coming from the engine or a wheel bearing.

675

Quite naturally that was my first thought but I've removed them all and checked and came up with nothing

12,135

OK, have someone that is knowledgeable about auto repair drive along side of you and listen for where the sound may be coming from. A ticking sound bouncing off a wall is not accurate enough to pin point it. Sitting still, hood raised and your outside looking at the engine running, do you hear the ticking sound? If not, it may be in your wheels/drive line/brakes. Here is a funny question. Do you have a hub cap that may have a stone in it? Decades ago, in the mid west and south, several roads were dirt/gravel. Cars came with hubcaps. Gravel or stones at times worked themselves into the inside of the hubcaps. The again, until you change out the wheel bearings, you can't be real sure. Since the bearings are sealed now, it's hard to tell if they are bad. Drive line bearing may be going out, but today's bearings last forever. Your SUV is is 17 years old, and depending on it's driving history, it could be that. Check the brakes? Worn rotors or even pads can cause a "tick" sound.

675

Even at 17 years old its immaculate...lol but no I have 22" rims on it and today while I was thinking about it and was still I heard it letting me know it's something on the engine making the noise and it's a clicking sound not ticking

675

Ive put a total of 4 engines in this suv ranging from 1996-99 and they all make this noise i think the valves need adjusting

675

Im trading it on a newer suv pretty soon lol...problem solved

12,135

When you replaced the engines, you still heard the noise? If so, it is not the engine or valves. It may be a bearing on the A/C or water pump or even the alternator, or belt tightener. If you hear the noise and can, pop the hood and stick your head over the front and see if you can isolate the clicking noise better. Does it increase in clicking as the speed of the engine increases? Anything that moves usually has a bearing, and that may be what you are hearing. Replacing a bearing is far cheaper than payments on a new SUV.

Best Answer
675

yes after replacing the engines the noise is still there, alternator, water pump, tensioner are new and the noise is heard from the side of the truck not the engine compartment...the only thing left is to check wheel bearings which im gonna do this weekend weather permitting.

12,135

tonheib350, If it is a wheel bearing, the noise will not be there when sitting still. Power steering pump? Sounds like when you're finished, you will have a rebuilt truck. If the noise is there setting still, go back under the hood and have someone turn the steering wheels. That will activate the power steering pump. I still think it may be the A/C bearing, or belt tensioner bearing. What ever it is, it's doing it just top aggravate you.