97 suburban idles rough on initial start up.

Asked by Feb 16, 2014 at 12:42 PM about the 1997 Chevrolet Suburban C1500

I have a 1997 Chevrolet Suburban with a fuel injected 350. Whenever i turn the vehicle
on it  acts as if it is running out of fuel and spit and sputters.  I can push the gas pedal
to the floor and it backfires.  It only used to do it in the mornings when i start the
vehicle but lately has been doin it on every start up.  I have replaced everything from
fuel pump (two pumps and last was entire module assembly) fuel pressure regulator,
IAC valve, coolant temp sensors, o2 sensors, tps sensor, and basic items of course
are plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and coil.  I have asked around alot and i get the same
awnser being a bad coolant temp sensor but i figured i couldnt have that bad luck in
getting 4 bad sensors in a row!

112,415

Have you tried cleaning you maf sensor?

20

Cleaned and replaced but havnt done it recently! Will give it a shot thanks!

68,745

Delco coolant temperature sensors work best on GMs for some reason. When you floor it do you get black smoke out the tailpipe? Could be leaking fuel injectors that drip after you shut the truck off. This would cause a flooded like condition upon start up. If your check engine light is on have the computer scanned and post the code(s). Advance and Autozone auto parts stores will do it for free. HTH. -Jim

112,415

Good point Jim.

97,225

Had the same problem with my 96 Tahoe, had the injectors cleaned and then ran a can of Techron every other tankful, problem never came back, the person who bought my Tahoe is still running Techron and has never had any problems. Might give that a try.

20

Honestly never looked out the back when it does to look for smoke but the check engine light is on and always stay on but only codes it has is "engine lean" bank one and two! Thanks for all the feedback!!

68,745

You're welcome. Glad to help. Check for vacuum leaks. That could be what's causing the problem. Then when the engine warms up and things expand the vacuum leak seals back up. That would explain the lean condition trouble code as well. HTH. -Jim

Could be clogged fuel filter. Lean on bank one and bank two leans towards fuel restriction.