Alternator and Serpetine Belt have Oil

Asked by Jul 23, 2015 at 12:55 AM about the 1997 Chevrolet Lumina 4 Dr LS Sedan

Yesterday I went for an oil change and today I opened my hood and saw the lower portion of my engine and most of my serptentine belt filled with oil.  The passenger side of the alternator where the serpentine belt passes also has oil....Should I worry about this?  Will my alternator stop working?  It is only the part where the belt passes on top of.   Should I clean it with Purple Power degreaser? I was driving the car today and heard a hissing but I think it might of been the A/C.  I can post a picture tomorrow.

its a good idea to wash of all the oil, rubber belts and oil over time doesn't like each other, make sure the oil cap is fitted correctly and try to determine where the oil came from.

First of all check your oil level, and make sure you are not missing much oil. If you are missing oil, most likely and I have seen that happen a lot, when you had your oil filter changed, the old gasket was never removed and now with 2 oil gaskets between the engine and the oil filter, the oil will leak and create such a mess. If you are missing oil, make sure you add enough oil, and drive your car back where you had the oil changed to replace the oil filter and oil again. Sometimes, the oil filter gasket really gets stuck and it is over looked. Also check the oil cap and make sure it is tightly closed and not just sitting there or loose. It is very serious matter if you are low on oil. So check your oil level.

I checked under the car and it is leaking 0 oil. It appears oil leak occurred during oil change. Overnight the oil dried up and it is not as visible as yesterday. I attached a picture of alternator; it does not look so bad anymore. The oil on the belts also dried up.

It turns out this oil is old. CLeaning engine so I can find leak.