1997 Lumina won't start driving for a while

10

Asked by Jun 21, 2013 at 07:10 PM about the 1997 Chevrolet Lumina 4 Dr STD Sedan

We have a 1997 Lumina Sedan with an automatic transmission,3.1 V6 that we can drive from point A to point B and if we have driven it long enough then park the car, and then shortly return to start it to go back to point A it won't start. We have to wait for at least an hour or more to get it to start. We noticed it is worse during warmer weather but still does it even during the colder weather. If we don't drive too far lets say less then 4 miles, it will start and if we stop anywhere else along the way home, it won't start. My husband seems to think that when the temperature gauge goes past the half way mark, it won't start.  We took it to Auto Zone and put it on the diagnostic and there were several options but and mentioned oxygen sensor but no real diagnosis was given, and really don't want to do trial and error with buying car parts to remedy the issue. Any idea what is causing this? The picture I've attached looks just like the one we have but isn't our car.

1,285

...a common cause for what you're experiencing is a faulty Crankshaft Sensor..... when they get old, and rotten, and heat up... they fail.... typically like your experience..... you crank and crank and crank and go nowhere..... then when the tow truck arrives, it starts right up as if nothing happened..... leaving you with that look on your face that says, "no really, it wouldn't start!"..... they're relatively cheap, about 20 bucks or so..... a Haynes manual may tell you how to replace it yourself..... you'll have to crawl around under your car a bit, and may be contort a little, and get your knuckles dirty..... if you diy, be careful, inspect the connector and wires..... they rot too..... if the car runs okay, with no other changes other than what you're experiencing, it's a good inexpensive guess to start your troubleshooting with..... good luck, have fun whatever you do.....

10

Hey 90V6RedHotLuminaEuro, thanks for your input, I have passed this along to my husband. What kind of dog is that in your profile? Looks like our Abby, she's Black Lab Chow mixed and smart as can be, you would think she was human she is so smart.

1,285

Wow! That was my Duncan. Black Lab Chow mix, and friggin' brilliant. Bring me anything from anywhere, carry my yard tools, fetch my hat, gloves, etc... from the back yard... bring me anything I pointed at... would bring me a shoe, then the matching one... he was my big little boy... always together... got him from the pound when he was one... best day of my life... I lost him June 2 of '09. I miss him every day...