New remote starter - worried I ground the starter

malonie86
0

Asked by Jan 03, 2012 at 10:47 AM about the 2007 Dodge Caliber R/T AWD

I just got a remote starter for my 2007 Dodge Caliber RT. I have twice accidently turned the key all the way (past the first two clicks) after I got in and now my check engine light is on. The guy who installed the remote starter said there may be something on my car which would prevent this but he wasn't sure. I'm hoping the check engine light turning on is only a coincidence, but I am doubtful since it turned on right after this happened. Is this is a serious issue I should get checked out?

Mike Tritle
3,135

Take your car over to the local Advance or Auto Zone and they will hook up the scanner and extract the code that has activated the light. They don't charge for this service. Could be coincidence and more than likely is completely isolated from the starter incidents. Did you hear that horrible zipping sound when you hit the starts position with the key? Most late model cars have PCM controls that when the tach circuit sees a certain rpm level it disables the starter circuit. I know my Edge has this because I've done the same thing on it that you confessed here w/o any starter engagement!

malonie86
0

I didn't hear any sound and nothing strange happened when I turned the key too far. I'll probably get the light checked out though. Thanks for the advice!

Mike Tritle
3,135

If the starter was engages you would have heard an unmistakeable god-awful whizzing sound. At least that parts is ok!