Hello, I have a 1997 Chevrolet Cavalier. My car has been turning over but not starting. The key will not come out when in the lock position like the manual said it should. Is it a bad lock cylinder?

Asked by Mar 04, 2015 at 02:28 PM about the 1997 Chevrolet Cavalier LS

I'm getting a solid theft light when it fails to
start. It turns over when left in a warm
place, but will not in the cold. The starter
has been replaced, idle air control valve,
timing chain, coil packs, full tune up. The
car seems to start after disconnecting and
reconnecting the battery but after a week
fails again with theft light on solid. I know
this version of PASSLOCK actually kills the
starter so I'm wondering if the lock cylinder
is bad and not reading the key since one of
the codes is P1629. The engine is a 2.2L
OHV.

41,195

I would say it's got the old Passlock issue. I have never owned a car with anti-theft. More problems than they're worth. http://engine-codes.com/p1629_chevrolet.html

That's what I thought but this problem initially started when I left the car out in -30 temp over night and it struggled to start next mor in with theft light solid. After a while it went away but still started rough only on the initial start in the morning. The car runs great and turns over great once warmed up. The car however usually won't start now, just turn over unless left somewhere warm. Also I don't really see how the theft system is preventing the key from being taken out of the lock position when it is supposed too. I think its an intermittent lock cylinder going back and misreading the key and setting off the theft system. Its possible though its other things of course but I don't believe the theft system alone would cause that.

41,195

You're right on that. I meant that the key will most likely release itself once the car is started and the steering wheel is not in the locked position. Your non start issue is probably a bad cold start injector if there is one for that year. Oops! I just realized that I totally didn't say that in my original post. I meant to add that but obviously forgot it. My bad!

I have no idea if this vehicle has a cold start injector. A mechanic looking at it, read a code off the computer with a level 2 scan tool and its a bad circuit in the ignition so he thinks there is a loose wire somewhere.