97 Cavalier-ABS light comes on and then it won't start?

Asked by Oct 26, 2010 at 12:51 PM about the 1997 Chevrolet Cavalier LS

About a month ago, it was pouring down rain & my ABS light came on, I didn't think anything of it because sometimes it does that when its really wet outside (not sure if that's normal or not though). But then I stopped at a store & when I came back to my car, it wouldn't start, it sounded like the battery was dead. So I got somebody to give me a jump & it started right up. My ABS light was still on and then my emergency brake light came on too. When I turned it off, it wouldn't start again, still sounded like the battery, so I got another jump, ABS light was still on, but not the emergency brake light anymore. The next day, the car started right up & I haven't had any problems again.
Until this morning, taking my daughter to school this morning, my ABS light came again & then my car wouldn't start (some story, sounded like the battery, so I got a jump & it started right up), but after my jump, the ABS light went off & it still wont start.
I know ABS is brakes & has nothing to do with the battery, but I think its bizarre that its all happening at the same time.
I replaced the battery about 2 years ago & the brakes were just done a few months ago. So I'm wondering if anybody has any idea what could be causing this?? Thank you!!

same thing happened to me. does anyone know what gives? is it the alternater?

65

it sounds like you have two different problems to be honest. chevy has a problem with water getting into the bearings and shorting them to ground causing the abs light to come on. a code scan will tell you which side bearing to replace. as far as your no start goes it sounds like you have a bad battery and would recommend seeing your garage to have them inspect the battery. i know you posted you replaced your battery 2 years ago but that does not mean that it might not have failed, I see it all the time at work. Hope this helps.

110

Yeah....some batteries just dont last. I honestly feel lucky when I get three years. I always leave the lights on!