Catalytic Converter

50

Asked by May 08, 2013 at 02:56 PM about the 2007 Hyundai Entourage SE FWD

I have a 2007 Hyundai Entorage. I know I have a bad catalytic converter, but it has 2 and I do not know which one to replace. Any way to check?

36,755

if one is bad you should have codes for catalytic converter performace.

50

I did, I can write down the codes tonight and submit them tomorrow. But I do have the catalytic converter performance code. But which converter is it? The van has 2?

36,755

It depends on the code its either gonna be a p0420 which will be bank 1 or a p0430 which will be bank 2. Yes it does have two.

50

I will check that tonight. Which one is bank 1 and bank 2. There is one that is in the very front of the vehicle connected directly to the exhaust manifold, and another further back midway down the exhaust system.

36,755

The front one is probably bank 1

50

Sounds good. I will pull the code when I get home.

36,755

Okay and ill do more reasearch and make sure which one is bank 1

50

I had cleared the previous codes, but when the light came on this morning it had new codes. P0134 sensor circuit no activity bank 1 sensor 1 P2196 undefined What do these tell you? I am not familiar with the cylinder layout on a hyundai. Where is #1 cylinder radiator side or firewall side? On a chevy or chrysler its a little easier for me but not this.

50

Any Ideas?

36,755

I cant find any good info in the darn thing. I believe #1is towards the firewall but i cant be sure

50

How about the codes I pulled?

36,755

The p0134 is b1s1 o2 sensor no activity like you said. And the p2196 is b1s1 signal stuck rich. Sounds like its either running rich on bank 1 or you have a bad b1s1 oxygen sensor

36,755

here is a sub par graphic of the location. looks like the front of the motor is bank one but maybe?

50

Would that make it run like the catalytic is bad? I am trying to find any way possible to not change the catalytic. As im driving the van eventually starts running rough and jerking a lot.

36,755

well maybe not looks you can see the axle shaft in that picture below the exhaust so that would have to be in the rear.

36,755

Yes it could. If its reading wrong then the computer does not know the correct amout of fuel to add. If the cat was bad you would have dtcs for it or the other way it would be bad it would have come apart and you would have a restriction in thw exhaust and most of the time the vehicle wont go but like 15 mph and it would run terrible all the time.

Best Answer Mark helpful
50

Great, I will be getting a new sensor then!!

36,755

thanks for all the marks! hope that works for ya.

50

One more thing just to verify. When I drive and it starts acting up it feels like it is dying. No power at all, but if you floor it for a second it clears up.

36,755

That could be a symtom of the sensor also. Slap one in there and try it out, it is possible that you have another problem but from he way you describe it, its not the catalytic converter.

36,755

Either way fix it asap because when it misfires the enginw doesnt burn all the fuel completely and raw fuel getting into the cat will damage it after a while.