1997 cavalier overheating

5

Asked by May 09, 2016 at 09:23 AM about the 1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Base

I have a 1997 cavalier that is trying to overheat on me. I have put a new t-stat in it, new water pump and radiator. I tested the t-stat before installing in hot water to watch it open up and it did. but when I run my car it gets hot enough for fan to cut on and the thermostat is still not opening, I can put my hand on lower radiator hose and it still feels cool to touch. it is not losing coolant, oil looks great its just seems the thermostat doesn't want to open. also wondered if it could be the cap on the coolant reservoir?

Have you tried to flush the system? I had an older car once that never gave me any issues until a long road trip, it over heated and ended up being a plugged up radiator. Someone had never serviced the cooling system and it turned to mud. Also, might be a bad pump, not actually moving the fluid.

5

I replaced the radiator, wp and verified it turned before I installed it.

5

Update, so after trying 2 aftermarket(carquest) thermostats I got an OEM one(acdelco) and put that in which solved my issue, it has not went past the halfway point on the gauge since.