Coolant disappearing

255

Asked by Jul 29, 2014 at 12:29 PM about the 1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 Coupe FWD

I have recently had my water pump
and thermostat replaced. I have
found my car is losing coolant
rapidly. Yet, my car isn't getting hot.
No white smoke loss of power or
muddy looking oil. And I'm finding no
spots on the ground. Could it be as
simple as my radiator cap?

23,675

loosing ! meaning I have to keep adding coolant? then its going somewhere. the most mysterious is when its seeping past the gaskets and to a combustion chamber and vaporizing just enough to come out the tail as steam and along with the normal Co that is converted to water by the catalectic anyway, a sweet smell or taste is antifreeze .

255

Yes it is missing from the resovior and it is nowhere to be found. First answer is always the head but I can't see that being it since there's not other signs of that

255

Also I haven't noticed moisture in my exhaust or smoke at all. No loss of power and my oil is in tip top shape. The cap is suppose to be pressurized but I can't seem to have success with the cap I just got from advanced. Help!!

23,675

that cap must be in good condition and be on proper to seal. . open when cold, fill to top, replace cap and start engine, as warm up starts the hoses will become pressurized as you can feel by squeezing ,the hotter the harder the hose . if the same as when cool, the caps not sealing proper

Best Answer Mark helpful
255

So if the hose is really hard when it's cold then the cap isn't working right? Is that what you mean?

23,675

no

255

Okay it was radiator hose had a hole

james is wrong you have to bleed the cooling system out first. if you just fill it and throw the cap on the air pockets will make your engine overheat. look up no spill coolant bleed funnel kit. NOT the best answer james. lol