2006 Jeep Commander starting but not moving

30

Asked by Jan 01, 2015 at 11:04 AM about the 2006 Jeep Commander Base 4X4

I purchased a 2006 Jeep commander a few months ago and have unfortunately had
several problems with it already.  The worse would be today.  I got in the car, it started
fine, shifted it into gear, and the car won't move.  The gear shifting on this vehicle can
be felt, but as I shift from park to drive to reverse you feel nothing.  Once I step on the
gas the speed and RPMs jump, but nothing.  I have no clue what happened and I was
driving it fine the day before.

96,655

Check the trans fluid level, for some reason this is critical, if my Jeep fluid level is even low by a cup it won't shift right, had it checked found nothing wrong, tranny guy said just the way it is, so I always keep it just a smidgen above the full mark warm, it seems to like it right there. Look at the color of the fluid while your there if it is dark and smells burnt chances are it is too late, trannys toast.

4,715

hi does it feel like the cable is hooked up.... does the vehicle roll when in neutral with the engine off shift it to neutral and try roll it its possible the cable broke on you ...//if the trany has been not given you any issues (delay shift, slipping,flaring) I would not think that the fluid level would be the issue with out giving you some of these signs at first ...you can check the fluid..... vehicle has to be warm and idling in neutral with the E/brake on ....//do not over fill it not even a little bit this is not good for an auto trany ...//also if the fluid is overfilled it will be into the gear train and act like a blender airrating the fluid and and making it like foam ...the pump can not pick this up and compress it and make pressure ....//which an auto trany needs to shift and apply the clutches...//both a low and a high level will cause a delay and flare in shifts and also check your transfere case and make sure your in 4 high or 2 high ...// or if its an AWD make sure its not in neutral either

30

MOPARJOHN~~In neutral the car does nothing. It does not roll or anything. When it was working there would be a "jerk" during gear changes, but I didn't think it was a major issue.