I have a 1997 chevy cavalier 2 drs. Std. How i fix this? The clutch is goin all the way down, it happen like 3 days ago, can I adjust it or something.?

25

Asked by Oct 16, 2012 at 07:07 AM about the 1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Base Coupe

8,515

yes every cable has an adjustment....

Best Answer
25

Thanks John, can you tell me were can i find that cable and how to adjust it. Please.

8,515

97...i think i typed faster than my brain functioned on that one, did you check the fluid? I am not positive there is a cable, more betting on a hydraulic system...there is linkage to the clutch petal, that i am certain, be sure to check the fluid well, and for leaks, I apologize for the false hope on that one...

It does have a hydraulic clutch. According to Edmunds....... cars.com......wiki all agree

8,515

yeah after i thought about it a minute, i realized my error.....does it slip at all in any gear/speed, or just go to the floor?

25

Is ok, thanks man, i will look into the fluid. Hey, is this fluid special for this car or any fluid for the clutch is fine?

25

Go all the way to the flor, but everything works fine in every shift. Is like it need to be adjust. Like when you brakes are bad and you need to push all the way down.

GM says use only their fluid they sell..but that's because they want to sell it to you only. All it is is hydraulic fluid but it probably has additives specific to your car. Go to the parts store and read labels, read them yourself and do NOT trust the guy behind the counter, my experience is half the people that work in parts stores don't know diddly

25

Thanks David, i will do that, and you are right about the people in car parts stores, they realy suck some times.

According to Edmunds, use brake fluid, but I stand by what I said about reading labels

8,515

should be the regulat dot fluid, (that car i think 3 is best), correct me if i'm wrong..

25

Thanks John, it was the fluid, it was almost empty, but i filled up already and is great, even better than before, thankyou very much for your great help.

8,515

message me anytime, also keep a check on it, regularly weekly or so...so we can figure out where the fluid went, and how fast...

100

Same thing happened to me and if your lucky, you will only need to replace the clutch master cylinder. Its best to replace both master and slave cylinders and at that point you might as well do a new clutch because access to the slave cylinder can only be gained by removal of the transmission. Most times clutch fluid leaks are internal in cavaliers and you'll find all your lost fluid in the bell housing. Good luck man.