97 Chevy Cavalier sometimes starts sometimes wont.

5

Asked by Apr 27, 2011 at 02:11 PM about the 1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Base Coupe

Im having a problem with my Cavalier. Sometimes it will start and sometimes it wont. I have had the battery checked and I have also had my starter checked. Im not really a car guru so that is about all that I could think of to check. If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. Thanx in advance.

3,075

What type of ignition do you have? Do you have a distributor? Is the car not starting when it is damp outside? It sounds like a damp distributor cap. Please award points if this helps

115

if you have a distributor less ignition, you might want to check your crankshaft position sensor. I had a similar problem with my 87, and after replacing the coils and the icm, ($56 & $100 respectively) I found that it was the crankshaft position sensor ($15) and the problem was solved. Hope this helps.

10

I have the same problem with my 98 Cavalier. I have changed battery, wiring where comes to starter, and also have changed the starter too. I dropped off yesterday by a mechanic and said nothing wrong with it. And really don't know what to do.