why does my 97 cavalier 2.2 runs cold ? changed the stat and water pump.

30

Asked by Dec 02, 2010 at 10:34 PM about the 1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe FWD

I lost the heat from the dash board heat while the gauge went 3/4 to hot. then kept driving one more mile and the heat came back and the gauge dropped back to normal. It did this for a week and then installed a new stat and water pump to get a cold running engine. I have dash baord heat just not like it should be/ any ideas?

85

Sounds like a possible low coolant situation. Check coolant level and if that is fine, maybe you got air in the coolant system. If you get an air bubble going to the heater core, you will lose heat. With poor heat, there could be air trapped in the heater core but you are getting some hot coolant going through.

30

what's the best way to bleed the system? I opened the "bleeder" at the thermostat and ran engine until coolant came out then tightened back up? what am doing wrong doe sit need to be a warmed engine when doing this?

85

I would start with opening the bleeder when cold, now that you have drove it and get it up to temperature and all. Take it for a drive and if dash heat is still poor, open it very careful when hot. The cooland will be very hot and I would use a wrench so you can have your hand away from it and watch for air. Recommend having the setting on max. heat/defrost (blowing on the windshield) to try and push the air out of the heater core. If you are getting a solid stream off coolant, there is no air there.

5

try a new thermistate

30

Thanks I'll let you know the results. PS I have tried 3 different stats. same results UGHHH

heater core is prolly clogged, either that or the radiator is clogged.

air in system,find the bleader valve crack it open a little,crank let run for at least 15 min to get air out of system,let cool refill withcollent,you will loose some.