Wheel Bearing

Asked by Aug 06, 2008 at 02:09 PM about the 1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Base Coupe

I have recently been asked to change the wheel bearing on the left front of the cavalier i was just wondering if this had ABS or just a standard wheel bearing i have done many abs and normal bearing swaps but i am just not familiar with this car. so one question is if it is abs after i take the hub assembly off of the axle and put the new one on am i supposed to pack that bearing before putting the spindle nut back on or not because on other abs assemblies i was not supposed to pack it but i was told their are some that need to be and was just wondering if this was one? thank you.  

1,055

First off the bearing is not serviceable. It is a unit bearing and can only be replaced. A quick and easy way to tell if it has ABS or not, is to check for wiring going to the hub. No wiring means it does not have ABS. If there is wiring, a cable, or any type of electrical connection on the hub, it's for an ABS sensor meaning the vehicle has ABS.

thanks but i know that if theirs wires that is abs but i was just wondering if it is do i still need to pack those bearings because i know on some of them you don't have to but thanks for you help.

45

no, you do not pack the bearing. it is a sealed hub assembly so just bolt it on and go. make sure you torque it to spec though, because you can warp the spindle and tweak the bearing causing premature failure.

Best Answer