How much gas is left in the tank of my 2004 Buick Ranier when the gauge says low fuel?

Asked by Apr 22, 2013 at 10:26 AM about the 2004 Buick Rainier CxL Plus AWD

97,215

My Gm has around 1.5-2.0 gallons left when the low fuel light comes on.

97,215

The Ranier has a 22.0 gallon fuel tank. How much gas does it take when you fill it?

33,705

Stop running it under a quarter tank, the gasoline around the pump is what keeps the pump cool, when you run it under a quarter tank the pump has only a quart of fuel that sits around the pump in a "cup" if you keep running it under a quarter the pump will not stay as cool as it needs to be and burn out quickly, that's why most vehicles inform you of low fuel when you're at an eighth tank.

33,705

The pump will burn out, not fuel, burn out is a term used with electrical motors it will quit prematurely.

1,130

The answer varies a little with each vehicle. To get a good answer, refill it when the light comes on and make a note of that amount. ie you have a 22 gal tank and if it takes 20 gallons, then you have two gallons in the tank when the light comes on. The others above are also correct in that it is a good idea not to run you tank down until the light comes on. The fuel helps keep the pump motor cool and it is probably starting to get exposed at around 1/2 tank....of course as you drive fuel is splashing around and that helps cool it also. I usually fill up at about 1/2 tank for a couple of reasons (1) the cost to fill up is not as much a drain on your wallet when you only put in 10 gallons instead of 20 (2) it is always nice to have a reserve in the event you need fuel and there is a power outage or the station are closed, just a little extra insurance.