NO HEAT!!!

55

Asked by Nov 26, 2014 at 09:37 AM about the 2000 Buick Park Avenue Ultra

i have a 2000 park avenue ultra. it has duel climate control and both sides are the
same.  the fan works fine blows air on all settings, vents, defrost, floor everything, but
no matter what i set the temp at it blows nothing but cold air.  i replaced the thermostat
thinking this was the problem it made no difference.  i have no water dripping in the
cabin so i don't think it's a heater core problem.  i'm just trying to figure out what the
issue is because winter is coming fast here in michigan.  i've done a little research and
maybe it has something to do with the hvac module but i have no clue how to replace
this part or where it is located in my car, any help would be greatly appreciated.

17,870

When the Park is running and fully warmed up, touch both radiator hoses and both heater hoses. All of them should be hot to the touch. If not then you probably have a bad thermostat or an air pocket in the cooling system. Let us know what you find.

55

just let the park avenue warm up and both hoses to the radiator were hot but both heater hoses were barely warm to the touch? also noticed that both fans were running constantly even when first started and coolant temp according to the gauge readout was constant between 172 and 182 degrees which i believe is low for the 3800 supercharged which should be between 200 and 220 don't know if a sensor is bad or what with that? again any ideas would be great

55

also i had replaced the thermostat already thinking that was the problem but it didn't have any effect

17,870

OK, sounds like you have an air pocket in the cooling system. Did you "burp" the cooling system with the bleeder valve on top of the thermostat housing?

55

i did or at least i thought i did and got the air out but maybe not. run me through the process real quick and ill do it again and see if anymore air gets released. thanks again

17,870

Open the bleeder on a cold engine, add as much coolant as it will take through the radiator. Close bleeder. Run engine and add to radiator as necessary while it warms up. Install cap, allow to build pressure and get up to normal operating temp. Open bleeder while running at this point. It should "pee" coolant. When it does that without bubbles just re-tighten bleeder and verify heat. You may have to shut it off for a little bit to build pressure. Maybe 10-15 mins. Then open cap(be careful) and add coolant until full. Recap it and that should get 95% of the air.

55

i burped the thermostat today not much air came out before it was a steady "pee" unfortunately it made no difference in the heat situation. i did however make the coolant temperature on the gauge read correct it now stays between 180 and 212 which is good but i still dont know what is causing the no heat. any more ideas?

17,870

Ok, well it could be a plugged heater core, a bad blend door motor or blend door. Check those areas out n let us know what you find.

20

well what if there is only cold air coming out and your dashboard light for your heat isnt working

60

Lol, tedbear42, hope you did not listen to any of those folkstake off your two panels underneath of your dash this will reveal the heating unit on the drivers side of the heating unit will be to electronic servos that control the blend doors this is what has gone bad you can either remove the servo and manually turn the blend door to the hot side if you like for a cheap fix or you can go spend $160 for the new servo and providing everything else is good your blend doors will work properly once again, good luck I'm reluctant to use anybody elses info on this site because of how much misinformation you got though, lol

17,870

Well Zack how nice of you to be an expert on park avenues. Too bad your answer came 3 months late. Oh and I did already mention to tedbear42 3 months ago about the blend doors. Thanks for your input though.

60

Indeed I did see everything you mentioned, your welcome☺

70

I've done everything you two have mentioned. still only getting cool air it's a little warmer on the driver's side did manual on the passenger side still cold. Heater core not plugged, core hoses are hot. When I did it manually it would turn clockwise and counter clockwise and stop could this still mean that it still could be broken. I have another HVAC unit and took it apart to see how they worked and then put it back together. I found that the unit turns clockwise on the passenger side for cold and counter for heat and just the opposite for the driver's side. Next I'm going to unplug the account pump and see what happens. It seams that the account pump works when you have the heater on why would you cool the air then reheat it. This seams kind of senseless for it to do this? I could use some help before I pull the HVAC unit.

70

Sorry, I just fired my proff reader. AC pump

30

GM had issues with Dexron orange antifreeze. Sludge problem. You have blocked core

50

I also have a buick park avenue ultra 1998 change the blend door actuators located behind the dash board panel