Our climate control system - the whole thing - has completely quit. There is power coming to the panel because it shows degrees C and degrees Fthe screen, but nothing works. What is wrong?

80

Asked by May 13, 2013 at 05:55 PM about the 2001 Buick Park Avenue Base

How old is your battery...these things stop doing what they are supposed to do after five years and can wreck your alternator if not changed...the reason is they degrade ten percent per year....the cable end going to the chassis should be wirebrushed clean to allow the full 300 cold cranking amps needed for a reliable start, also the "galvonic currents" will not only destroy your ground connection, but will play hell with delicate electronics too...but yours sounds like a blown fuse, now why did it blow? You've done something different?~

Did the air conditioner compressor engage? at all?

you could buy a used control module>>>http://www.ebay.com/itm/Buick- Park-Ave-Digital-AC-climate-heater-control-/221225616419? pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ABuick%7CMod el%3APark+Avenue&hash=item3382130423&vxp=mtr

80

Nothing engages. The battery is fairly new. We unhooked it and hooked it back up again - still nothing.

80

We did replace it. Still nothing.

the module?

you repaced the module, checked the fuses, checked the relays...that's all I got...keep you posted maybe a wizard will show up with a technical service bulletin or recall item and save the day~

80

Yes we replaced the module. Dealer wanted $1100, we found one online for $70. This has us really puzzled.

would you like me to check for a recall or TSB>?

http://www.obd-codes.com/tsb/2001/buick/park_avenue/

80

No, but thanks. We have made an appointment to have diagnostic testing in two days. We'll see what they come up with.

635

When you say "nothing works," do you mean on the display or the actual A/C system? Is the control head D.O.A or are you low on refrigerant? Huge difference. Let me know.

80

Mark, thanks for all your insight. Diagnostics showed it to be the computer module behind the control panel. It cost us a pretty penny,but not as much as a dealer would charge. Could not order online because it had to be programmed.

10

We are having a similar problem right now with my inlaws car. We've tried two used control panels and nothing works. Do you have any information on part numbers of the computer panel behind the control panel? Did a buick dealer fix this for you? Any help you can provide would be helpful.

50

HVAC will not always switch to Auto. So I get no A/C when it will not go to Auto. When Auto engages on the head unit I get A/C though. So does this computer module control the control panel???

65

This is a problem with all 97-05 Park Avenues, in time the digital read out will go blank, I have had two Park Avenues and both did it, it will take you 1 hour to repair, life the wood grain carefully up and out of the way, loosen two bolt screws that hold control unit in, you can work it out without damaging your dash. unplug the plug in back and on the unit, you have tiny bolt screws, remove them and unplug the digital indicator, set it aside.....you have two claims holding the circuit board in the case, lift those and slide the board out, turn it over and you will see on the edge a roll of white large resistors, you will find some of them that will need re-soldered I would just re-due all the connections on those resistors.....than resample the unit back together and you will find that you fixed your climate control

60

So I have a question. I have a 2001 Buick Park Avenue, The heater works great however the A/C Unit is not working. It shows the temperatures and the fan ranges from low to max speed. However it only blows out hot air. So i took it to the local shop to have it re charged and they said everything looks good with the fluids, however they want $120.00 hourly to track down the problem which they believe could be the climate control sensor unit. And said that in itself to replace could cost me between $400-800.00 is this correct? And is it simple enough that a female who knows not much about vehicles could actually replace this module myself. What type of tools would I need, as in screw drivers or pliers, or wrench? Thank you. Jamie