Why is my car making this noise?

Asked by Jul 15, 2014 at 05:02 AM about the 2002 Buick Park Avenue Base

My Buick is making a louder, high pitched squeal from the engine (A 3.8 Liter V6) when
I start it up, however when I turn my A/C on, or when the car is in gear and ready to
start moving, the noise is just, gone. After the A/C is turned off, or the car is back in
park, the noise comes back. After a short drive the noise is dampened, not as High
pitched and not as loud, but still there. It worries me to no end and I want to get this
noise fixed as soon as I can. My friends dad, who was a mechanic for well over 20
years suggest it's the Belt or the Harmonizer, but second opinions are always
appreciated.

236,935

Since it goes away when the AC is on, the AC compressor kicks on, putting more pressure on the belt. My guess would be a stretched/worn belt, and or belt tensioner and or pulley making the noise.