Electrical Short

Asked by Aug 06, 2019 at 05:47 PM about the 2003 Buick Park Avenue Ultra FWD

The air ride suspension compressor stopped working a few months ago on my 2003 Buick Park Avenue Ultra. Just recently however, I've noticed the battery being drained when not driven for a week or more.Then yesterday my driver's power seat stopped functioning but the passenger side was fine. Also, the dash lights went through a flickering mode and the gauge for the battery voltage was ranging from 11.8 volts to 12.6 volts, whereas,prior to this the voltage was regularly at 13.5 volts. When I got home I fiddled with the wiring under the driver's seat and I removed the battery cables and gave them a thorough cleaning. Now the power seat works fine and the gauge for battery voltage registers 13.4v when the car is running.
But battery drainage continues.
So being convinced that there is a short somewhere, likely on the circuit of the compressor, I pulled the ELC fuse in the rear fuse box, then I disconnected the pos battery terminal and slowly brought the pos battery cable back to the battery post. A spark occurred. So I still have a short with the ELC fuse pulled.
I then hooked a probe test light to the neg battery cable (on the battery post) having the pos battery cable away from the battery pos post. I began placing the test light on each fuse while bringing the pos cable to the pos post so it would create a spark. If the test light went on then the short could be traced to that particular fuse and circuit. The results were that for every "small" fuse (mostly under 30A) the test light did NOT glow, however, every one of the MAXIFUSEs produced a glowing light when the cable sparked onto the post. I repeated this test after swapping in another good battery and got the same results.

My question: Where do I go from here to located this short?

No Answers Yet