Radio works on FM and for no identifiable reason, the AM reception dropped to poor

5

Asked by Feb 07, 2016 at 01:44 PM about the 2004 Buick Park Avenue FWD

The factory installed AM radio reception is very weak, noise level high, signal strength low.  FM radio works 100% so antenna is probably ok.  It just started and nothing was apparently done to the radio.  Is there a radio setting for "distance?"  I can't find it if there is.  Ideas? Thanks!

5

I figured it out. The radio uses the rear window defroster as the AM antenna. There is an Antenna Module above the rear seat behind the plastic cover that supplies power to the defroster AND has a slot for the AM Antenna cable. I replaced the Antenna Module AND then had to go to a junkyard for the power cable which melted the input cable slot and caused the problem. Turns out this is a Park Ave known issue since the cables I found in an older junked car HAD THE SAME ISSUE!