My 1997 camaro won't go into reverse

10

Asked by Jan 30, 2017 at 05:30 PM about the 1997 Chevrolet Camaro RS Convertible

I had a CAA guy come before with a flatbed because that was what I thought would be needed to take it to a shop, but he was really nice and said there was something simple he could do with a screwdriver to unlock it. I wish I watched him because it's happened again, a year later. Any ideas?

79,475

Manual or automatic?

10

Sorry, should have specified Automatic

79,475

Was it the override button? Not sure how your year car works but this is all that comes to mind.

10

Yes, my car is an automatic and it is a shifter console. It is now in park and will not BUDGE into Reverse, therefore cannot get further into any other gears. Regarding the "override button" - don't know, but that sounds promising. The man just took a screwdriver and seemed to poke it into the front of the shift console (if I'm remembering correctly) and the car seemed to unlock. Thanks Trannyman & F-O-R

79,475

Try your owners manual.

10

OK, thanks all! F-O-R I wish I had an Owner's Manual, never came with one unfortunately. AskTrannyMan I appreciate your instructions. I will give that a go and see how I progress and I too hope this does the trick. I am frustrated and want my pride & joy back on the road. She is a 1997 Camaro in excellent shape in a beautiful Dark Green colour with Tan Convertible, Tan Leather seats and very low klms. Can you tell I'm female. lol

10

You're a funny guy aren't you! So, you just want to take my poor broken car off my hands do you? Well, let me think about that for half a second ... um, no thanks, I think I'll suffer through this incredibly difficult mechanical breakdown until I can get it fixed, thanks for your very thoughtful offer though, you're a champ. lol

10

Hey there funny man! Thought I would get back to you about my car problem - it's quite amusing when I think about it now. So, the CAA guy came back for the 3rd time with a tow truck, because I had already called my mechanic, explained the problem and told him it was on the way. He said fine but, didn't think he would be able to get to it that day - at this point I told him that I didn't care and he could get back to me "whenever". Well, I'm assuming the car arrived and one of his guys had a look at it. The next thing I know I'm getting a phone call back from my mechanic telling me my car is READY. "What the heck did you do to it?" I asked. "Well, you know the button on top of the ball-like gear shifter, we just put some lubricant into the top around the button and a little along the slider on the console." So, half an hour later I go to pick up my car and ... "No charge, Kathy". WHAT! In another scenario I could have been taken for SO much money i.e. A new transmission, etc. So AskTranny, how is that for a Happy Ending! I'll tell you this, next time this happens I sure know what to do myself, good old WD-30, or whatever it's called (I always get it mixed up). Can you believe that? I am so happy to know that there are still nice guys out there who will give someone a fair shake, and I thank you again for your involvement in trying to resolve my problem. Cheers!