1997 blazer 4.3 sounds like cylinder missing

5

Asked by Jun 29, 2015 at 01:53 PM about the 1997 Chevrolet Blazer 4 Door LS 4WD

my 4.3 vortec sounds like its not firing on all 6. Engine shakes but still runs up n down the road. I replaced all plugs, wires and dist. cap.
I don't have a scanner or any diagnostic tools. What is the easiest way to determine what is up?
Thanks!

150,695

Many parts houses, or Wal-Mart or Sears auto centers anything like that will do an OBDII scan free. But don't buy anything until you come back and post the codes, one of us will be happy to make recommendations on how to proceed. Electrical parts can not be returned, even if never installed. Or, you can invest in your own scanner, the come as cheap as $50. I paid $200 for mine. Either way, come back with codes.

10,825

I would recommend to get yourself a gauge to check the compression in each cylinder. they are available at Auto Parts stores and relatively inexpensive. Also if the vehicle has codes (I'm assuming it does), any auto part store will lend you an OBD II scanner to check them. On a side note, the fuel spider is always a culprit in the 4.3's as well. Some Google searches can clear up the procedures and parts mentioned above.

5

Thank YOU!!

5

ok, so i couldn't make it to the parts store to check codes. wouldn't make it. but, exhaust is popping intermittently and starts to smell like someone let off a bunch of fireworks.

5

I'm suspecting maybe lost compression from a bad gasket, from how the engine sounded when I was trying to drive it. Waiting on brother-in-law to bring compression tester

10,825

That sulfur smell is the catalytic converter. It for sure needs to be replaced. This could be the route of the problems or it could be the result. It's going to be loud as heck, but sever the cat out of the exhaust and see if it runs without the it. I'd be willing to bet it is almost completely clogged up causing back pressure issues.

5

ok i cut the exhaust right in front of the cat and pulled out of the way. Still runs like crap. :-( Sooooo i guess next step is test compression

5

pulled the dipstick (should have done this first). chocolate milk in the oil pan. Sigh. guess its a blown head gasket or cracked head. Hopefully its the gasket. Thanks for the help.