I have a 1997 chevy blazer, LS 4 wheel drive, I have a hum/vibration coming from the drivers side front, I have been told that it is the 4 wheel drive driveline? Can you tell me if that sounds right or how to check it?

Asked by Mar 29, 2013 at 11:20 PM about the 1997 Chevrolet Blazer 4 Door LS 4WD

you know the driveshafts are supposed to be balanced. This vibration may be coming from the tires. If it sounds like it is violent in nature you should check the balance of the driveshafts.

26,675

Sounds like you have a wheel bearing issue or tire issue. The driveline should make excessive noise or vibrate something is up. If the tire tread is cupped it will make noise and the vibration could be tire balance. The bearing may have play causing vibration and noise. To check play in a bearing jack it up and shake the tire and observe components and see if there is play if you have play and cant see any componets move such as ball joints and tie rod ends then its the bearing. Another way to check it put it on a lift and use a stethoscope to listen to the bearings on either side see if one is noisy. And it may be a bearing in the front diff making noise. Its really hard to say you just needs to get some ears on that front drivetrain and pinpoint this noise. But good components should not normally cause vibration and noise.

Best Answer
95,135

A couple cheap things you can do before hitting the repair shop. Swap the tires around to see if the noise moves. A bad wheel bearing will make more noise when weight is put on it. Just weaving in your lane (at slow speeds) will make it known. --- "I have been told that it is the 4 wheel drive driveline" - that's sort of open ended isn't it. That covers everything from the flywheel to the ground...

230

drive shaft