The truck's engine has always been easy to start but lately, it takes 2 or 3 times.

Asked by Oct 07, 2013 at 02:31 PM about the 1996 Mitsubishi Mighty Max Pickup 2 Dr STD Standard Cab SB

The truck's engine has always been easy to start but lately, at odd times, it seems not to turn over.  So far, it always starts cold, the first start of the day, then after sitting a while(while shopping for instance), it sometimes takes 3 tries to get it started.  This doesn't happen all the time, maybe 1 in 6 starts.  It has a pretty new battery (1 year old).  
I did use a gasoline additive twice, one bottle for each full tank.  After the first tank with the additive was burned, I filled it up again with no additive.  Then the next tank I added another bottle to the full tank, as directed.  I have since filled up the tank again.  Do you think the additive may have loosened some gunk that's getting in the way now?

6,185

when was the last time you did any maintenance on the ignition system (plugs wires dist. cap) ?

Well, it has been a while. Now if I can find a good mechanic/garage who's reasonable, I'll take it in. I'm always afraid they will find something 'else' that costs more than I can afford. Thanks for your suggestion. Pat

6,185

you shouldn't need a garage to change the plugs and wires and distributor cap,,, just do the wires one at a time and youll be good ,,, also make sure the plugs are gaped to spec and youll be fine