what weight oil should I put in my 1990 mighty max

Asked by Sep 25, 2014 at 06:22 PM about the 1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max Pickup 2 Dr STD Standard Cab SB

I changed the valve cover gasket today and noticed it's get a bit of sludge built up under it.
The previous owner always used castrol 40w. I was told thats not good for it and is what perhaps caused the build up. what oil would be best to put in it now? My truck is a 2.4. with 183K miles on it.

Build up is from not changing the oil on a regular basis. Use any conventional 10W-30 and change it often.

thank you. and how often should i change it now. how many miles inbetween changes. i only drive the truck about once a week. and put on about 50 miles each time i drive it.

If low mileage like that, experts say once a year.

when i put a thinner oil in it. It would tick. but when i put in 20/50 the last time cause i was told to. the ticking went away. Is it going to hurt anything if it ticks. i think it's a lifter that sticks. i was told that those engines are notorious for ticking.