97 Chevy Blazer transmission

Asked by May 26, 2017 at 10:19 AM about the 1997 Chevrolet Blazer 4-Door RWD

Transmission just stopped working
as we were pulling out of parking lot.
It will not even engage into park or in
gear at all and when I try to put it
into park it's like the car is rolling
and you're trying to put it in park,it
clicks.

2,715

This is a common problem. Take a look at this video. A few problems are shared here . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP0jhBG0jv4

2,715

How many miles do u have on her? Have you pulled the error codes off? Which ones are they?

2,715

Have u had any issues with starting? I have also read through many forums from various sites about these issues and some saying that it is not the solenoids but it is the ignition switch that needs to be replaced and will only occur on the 1997's. Claims it is a security feature for the 1997 models. Just a suggestion

I have not had any problems with it starting. How would the ignition affect the transmission operation?

2,715

apparently the Jeeps have a limp mode.....as I read.....that it reduces the car's progress until the error is fixed. I have seen that in my Mercedes as well Just my observation I will read more and get back a little later. AM going to dinner w family

2,715

sorry, I meant GM's

2,715

did you recently have a transmission service? Sometimes doing a transmission service does more harm than good. Especially on an older model. The dirt and crud can actually give worn transmission parts something to grab onto and work better. Before you go shopping for a new transmission did you use the correct Dextron type transmission fluid to refill it? Is the fluid level where it should be on the dipstick? Did you have to move any wiring when you did the service? If so check the wiring for breaks or damage. Make sure everything is plugged in where it needs to be. Is the pan now leaking? Did you install the seal on the filter pipe correctly///?

2,715

Additionally, If the filter isn't installed correctly the pump will be sucking air instead of transmission fluid. This will cause a pressure drop. Just like if you were extremely low on transmission fluid

2,715

Here is a good youTube video on how to add and the problems that ensue, if one does add the fluid incorrectly https://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/1995_Chevrolet_Blazer_LT_4.3L_V6_(4_Door)/transmission_fluid/check_fluid_level