having trouble resetting radio code. Must change it to European code first but it isn't allowing me to do so. what now?

10

Asked by Aug 28, 2013 at 02:47 PM about the 1997 BMW Z3 2 Dr 2.8 Convertible

Battery went dead over winter storage.  Have had the car for 12 yrs.  Stored each winter and have always been able to reset the radio code until this year.  Took it to a BMW repair shop and they had to reset it to the European code then back to the USA code.  They gave me instructions how to do that but, of course, it will not work for me.  What's my next step?

1,455

Since the Z3 was manufactured in the US, I think they were in error telling you that there are two different codes for the radio; there should only be one - 4 digits entered through the preset keys. Turn the car on - then off, and wait at least one hour. Then turn the key to the first position and try re-entering your radio codes....it should accept them then.

Best Answer
10

I sorry, but your answer does not solve the problem. I already did what you suggested with negative results. By the way, the USA code is a 5 digit code.

10

I also took the car to a BMW garage recently for the same problem and they informed me they had to recode the radio to the European code before it would take the US code. They gave me written instructions if the problem happened again, however, the radio isn't showing the same things the instructions state. For example, the instructions state to press and hold the M button until the serial number appears. That did not happen until I followed the next step and hit the + button repeatedly. That step was also supposed the show the word European, once that word appears, you insert the 4 digit European code. The word European did not appear, so I inserted the US code anyway, no results. This is where I am at a loss unless I take it back to the garage and pay the $80 bucks again.