Shift Override button turned off (arrow on dashboard), can't get it turned on, car won't start

Asked by Feb 04, 2016 at 05:10 PM about the 2000 Volvo V70 Wagon

A few days ago my car wouldn't start, I knew it wasn't the battery (just
replaced), all the lights come on, it sounds like it's starting, but just doesn't
"catch". I noticed my "shift lock override" dashboard light (arrow) was on. I
tried pushing the shift lock override button down (to disengage) nothing
happened. After trying for about 10 minutes and using a pen to jam the
button, the dashboard light/arrow went off, and the car started fine. It
happened again today, and now regardless as to what I do, the override
won't "disengage" so I can't start the engine. I read the instructions in the
manual, that didn't help. Any suggestions as to how turn the override
light/feature OFF without having to rip up the console? Desperate & broke
here, love my Hedwig (my car) don't want to give up on her. Thank you :)

The up arrow light indicates either a problem with the transmission or that it is in low gear (3) or Winter mode. Have you pressed the "W" button to see what happens? Are you saying that the shift-lock override button is stuck down? If that's the case, try tapping the console around it to pop it back up. Something may have spilled around it and it's sticking.

Thanks for your reply! I did try pressing the "W" button, that didn't make a difference. The shift-lock override button is popped up, from the last time it happened, that means that the arrow shows up on the dashboard. When the button is pressed down the arrow light goes off (at least that is what happened last time). When I was able to push down the button, and it stayed pushed down and it registered it was pushed down, the arrow light went off. This time, I was able to get it stay pushed in twice, however the arrow on the dashboard didn't disappear and I couldn't get the car started. Any thought about checking the OBD II codes and resetting them? Would that make any difference? I read a post where someone thought they would need a new transmission and they reset the codes and that took care of it. I appreciate any help, thank you :)

Reading the OBD II codes wouldn't hurt. Being the transmission, it may not be able to be read that way, but you could try. If that doesn't work, you could go to the Volvo dealer or an independent shop that works on Volvos and have them read the codes from the transmission. Being that the light is on, the transmission must have some stored codes.

Thank you, appreciate the tips :)